Sunday, June 24, 2012

Happy Dragon Boat Festival!

This weekend was the Dragon Boat festival. Boats, which look like dragons, compete in races at the Dajia riverside park. Triangular shaped sticky rice wrapped in bamboo leaves are eaten at this festival. The festival was created in memory of Chinese poet, Cyu Yuan, after he drown in the Miluo river. There is very interesting story that goes along with all of the traditions, especially why the sticky rice is eaten.

Awesome wall we found on the way back from the festival on Saturday, near Dajia riverside park

On Sunday, we ventured out to San Zhi to find the abandoned pod hotel. If you Google "San Zhi hotel", you can see what I mean. Very cool! However, they were torn down in 2008 as we unfortunately discovered. On our way to hunt the hotel down, we came across the Eight Immortals temple:

One of the temple walls, these figurines cover the entire room

Out front of the temple, the biggest incense stick EVER

On the way back from the beach and temple, the camera I decided to go where we shouldn't and ended up angering the spirits:

This little shrine was into the wooded area, off the street. Instead of taking pictures from afar, I decided to go closer. Travis stayed behind. I took a picture of one of the fuu dogs on the side and was instantly distracted by the back wall of the main structure. Of course, I can only pick out words here and there, so I had no idea what this place was about. It appeared that there was a cavity in the wall, but I was hesitant to approach it, for whatever reason-but I did anyway. I put my face up against the wall and briefly peered in the holes of the carved surface. I felt something, I knew something was in there- someone, or multiple someones. I quickly backed off and began to look around again when I heard Travis say my name. A woman was standing next to him, "she wants to talk to you". Right as I neared the wall cavity, this woman came out of nowhere, standing right next to Travis. He didn't see or hear her coming, he just heard her as she asked him if he spoke Chinese. I carefully made my way back to the street and the woman began to explain what the shrine was about, and how I should not have stepped onto the grounds. The site was a burial ground, and home to the spirits. She said that they began to speak to her, telling her that someone had trespassed on their home, and they weren't happy. She fully explained the situation and I apologized to the spirits, explaining that I thought their home was beautiful and very interesting. Although she said they were angry with me, I felt no bad energy. I am always respectful when approaching holy sites to take pictures...

After we got back to downtown San Zhi, we headed back to Tamsui (where we got off the metro) and watched the tail end of the festival going on there:




Chewing betel nuts in between performances. Betel nuts don't taste very good, as you can see. They are a nut from a palm that gives you a mild stimulated feeling when chewed, much less so than caffeine. 

Dragon dancers, dancing with people on their shoulders!


Here's a video of some of the street performers dancing

Remains of the many firecrackers lit off at random times

People here love their McDonalds and Starbucks, both have taken over the world! This one is open 24 hours and is five stories tall

If there's a pet store around, we have to go. Today, we found this beautiful sausage of a Pomeranian. Super sweet, and knew a few tricks too 



No comments:

Post a Comment